London is a city that is steeped in history, ripe with culture, and packed with an amazing array of wonderful attractions, sights, and places of interest. Every year, people from all around the world head to the English capital and take one of the main day tours of London in order to take in the variety of historical, cultural, and architectural wonders that fill this city, and there is so much to see and do here that drawing up an itinerary is vital if you want to ensure you do not miss out on some of the most popular and exciting attractions.
If you are only in London for a limited amount of time you may be hard pressed to see everything you want but by visiting some of the most popular attractions you can get a real feel for the city, its history and heritage, and its culture.
5 of the top attractions to add to your itinerary
There are many great attractions to enjoy in this city, and this includes a number of fabulous world famous attractions that are hugely popular amongst visitors to London. Some of the top attractions you can visit when you head to this city include:
- The Tower of London: With its long, fascinating, and sometimes very dark history, the Tower has become one of the most popular attractions in London. This is a place where you can delve into the past and learn more about the various purposes for which the tower was used, from providing protection and operating as a mint to being a place of imprisonment, execution, and alleged murder. It is, of course, also home to the Crown Jewels.
- Buckingham Palace: One of the most famous buildings in the city, Buckingham Palace is always a huge hit with visitors to London, many of whom are fascinating by the British monarchy. This is the most famous royal palace in the country and is the official residence of the Queen. In the summer you can visit the state rooms as well as the gardens, which span 29 acres.
- Westminster Abbey: The iconic Westminster Abbey has been the setting for all coronations for nearly one thousand years as well as being home to the remains of royalty, dignitaries, famous scientists and more. This is a stunning building with its wonderful Gothic facade and incredible detail.
- The Houses of Parliament: Once known as the Palace of Westminster, the Houses of Parliament is an iconic building that is instantly recognizable. The building boasts a rich and fascinating history as well as being an architectural masterpiece. You can even go in to watch debates inside when parliament is in session.
- The London Eye: If you want to see London from a whole new perspective – and from new heights – a visit to the London Eye is definitely the way to do it. You can enjoy taking in panoramic views of this vibrant city as you take your ride on the big wheel – and if you want to make it extra special you can do the London Eye by night and even make it a champagne experience.
This is just a sample of the many wonderful sights and attractions that London has to offer, and demonstrates why the city has become so popular amongst tourists from all around the world.